Welcome to STAF
The Software Testing Automation Framework (STAF) is an open source, multi-platform,
multi-language framework designed around the idea of reusable components, called services
(such as process invocation, resource management, logging, and monitoring).
STAF removes the tedium of building an automation infrastructure, thus enabling you to
focus on building your automation solution. The STAF framework provides the foundation
upon which to build higher level solutions, and provides a pluggable approach supported
across a large variety of platforms and languages.
Other STAF Services (provided separately as "add-ons" to the core STAF services):
STAF can be leveraged to help solve common industry problems, such as more frequent
product cycles, less preparation time, reduced testing time, more platform choices,
more programming language choices, and increased National Language requirements.
STAF can help in these areas since it is a proven and mature technology, promotes
automation and reuse, has broad platform and language support, and provides a common
infrastructure across teams.
STAX is an execution engine which can help you thoroughly automate the
distribution, execution, and results analysis of your testcases. STAX builds on top of
three existing technologies, STAF, XML, and Python, to place great automation power in
the hands of testers. STAX also provides a powerful monitoring application which
allows you to interact with and monitor the progress of your jobs.
Some of the main features of STAX are: support for parallel execution, user-defined
granularity of execution control, support for nested testcases, the ability to control
the length of execution time, the ability to import modules at run-time, support for
existing Python and Java modules and packages, and the ability to extend both the
STAX language as well as the STAX monitoring application.
Using these capabilities, you can build sophisticated scripts to automate your
entire test environment, while ensuring maximum efficiency and control.
Other STAF services are also provided to help you to create an end-to-end automation
solution. By using these services in your test cases and automated solutions,
you can develop more robust, dynamic test cases and test environments.
We encourage the community to post patches, new features, new STAF services, etc.
that enhance or extend the STAF project. Please see
Making Contributions to STAF for more information on how to do this.
Also, feel free to post a question via one of our
or mailing lists. These are also good places
to search for answers to questions, in addition to the FAQ,
STAF User Guide, STAX User Guide,
and other documentation.
Note that eWeek.com ran an article in 2007 about the most important open-source applications.
At the end they invited readers to write in letting them know about applications
they missed. Then they ran an article containing the ones most often mentioned
and their readers said STAF was one of the most important open-source applications.
See the full article
here. This slide
is about STAF.
Also, SDTimes.com ran an article on July 22, 2008 that put STAF at the top of its
list of open source tools for Automated Testing. See the
Functional Testing Tools, the Open-Source Wave article.
- March 29, 2013: STAF 3.4.13, STAX 3.5.5,
and Email 3.3.7 are now available.
- December 14, 2012: STAF 3.4.12 is now available.
- September 28, 2012: STAF 3.4.11, STAX 3.5.4,
and Event 3.1.5 are now available.
- June 29, 2012: STAF 3.4.10 is now available.
- March 29, 2012: STAF 3.4.9 and STAX 3.5.3
are now available.
- December 9, 2011: STAF 3.4.8, STAX 3.5.2,
and HTTP 3.0.4 are now available.
- September 28, 2011: STAF 3.4.7, STAX 3.5.1,
Email 3.3.6, HTTP 3.0.3, and Namespace 1.0.3 are now available.
- June 30, 2011: STAF 3.4.6, STAX 3.5.0,
Cron 3.4.0, and EventManager 3.4.0 are now available.
- March 31, 2011: STAF 3.4.5 is now available.
- December 14, 2010: STAF 3.4.4 and
STAX 3.4.5 are now available.
- December 7, 2010: FTP 1.0.3 is now available.
- December 6, 2010: Email 3.3.5 is now available.
- December 2, 2010: STAX 3.5.0 Beta 1 is now available.
- November 1, 2010: Cron 3.3.8 and EventManager 3.3.8 are now available.
- September 30, 2010: STAX 3.4.4, Cron 3.3.7,
and EventManager 3.3.7 are now available.
- September 28, 2010: STAF 3.4.3 is now available.
- August 24, 2010: Email 3.3.4 is now available.
- June 29, 2010: STAF 3.4.2 and
STAX 3.4.3 are now available.
- May 20, 2010: STAF/STAX Education V3.4.1 is now available.
- May 10, 2010: STAX 3.4.2 is now available.
- March 30, 2010: STAF 3.4.1 and
STAX 3.4.1 are now available.
- April 21, 2006: End of service for all STAF V2 releases.